Thursday, March 21, 2013

Citizen Grouch recommends: Gone Girl

I had heard about the book "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn and thought I would give it a try.  I put it on reserve some months ago at the library and recently it became available for me so I checked it out and brought it home.  I started reading it and almost couldn't put it down to go to bed, it was that good.  I stayed up late, I read it on the train, I read it as often as I could.  It isn't just good, it is really good!

It is the story of Nick and Amy, two hip New Yorkers who lose their jobs and move back to Nick's home town in Missouri.  They were much in love but by the time of their 5th wedding anniversary Nick is thinking that he's made a really big mistake.  On the day of their anniversary Nick comes home to find signs of a struggle and his wife gone.  As time goes on Nick becomes the suspect in his wife's disappearance.  Nick seems guilty...or is he?   It is written from both Nick's viewpoint and from Amy's diary.  Nothing is as it seems. 

I found the story engrossing, scary, and a major creep-out.   It was like a really good 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' episode.   It is a bit of a love story, a bit of a disintegrating marriage story, and a whole lot of suspense.  Absolutely loved it.   Full disclosure:  the Missus hated it and didn't read past the first chapter.  She didn't like the characters and as we both feel, if you don't enjoy the book, don't waste your time.  But me on the other hand, I loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/030758836X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363931149&sr=8-1&keywords=gone+girl


 

No comments:

Post a Comment