Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The dreaded jury duty and other events of the week

I was tapped for L.A. County jury duty in March and directed to report the first week in May. Since this was when the memorial service for my father was scheduled I asked to reschedule for 1 June. This is the call in the night before system to see if you need to report the next day. I called and was directed to report Monday at 8:15. A day off from work! I foolishly reported half an hour early. We finally got started an hour late. By 10:00 a.m. we took a break from the endless instructions for snack time (my favorite time of the day). At 11:00 a.m. I was dozing in my chair when the jury room lady told us that we were done, not only for the day but for the week! Even she looked happy. I'm off the hook for another 12 months.

I can't believe it. Craig is going on a date this Friday although Mary says that it is actually that he is taking a friend with us to see a play at the Theater Guild and the friend just happens to be a girl. Be that as it may I can see that young Craig is quite popular with the ladies. I will have to be on my best behavior and stand up straight and chew with my mouth closed when his friend is around since the mere acknowledgement that parents exist is embarrassing enough for teenagers let alone having the old dad acting uncouth. It will be an interesting experience for all.

I have a meeting with my boss first thing tomorrow. This is always a fun thing to look forward to when coming to work.

Lastly the knee is still bothering me. The doc says it is tendinitis and has me going to yet another physical therapist where they treat me with a laser light. For all I know it is an LED flashlight and they are ripping off me and the insurance company. Be that as it may the laser light so far has not cured what ails me. A guy I know says that it is just the way it is and will be after the operation. His knee still aches several years after his operation. Oh joy.

Hopefully more interesting life stories from the grouch in future blogs.

2 comments:

  1. I can just imagine the doctor shining a flashlight on your knee and pretending it is lazer technology, then billing the insurance company millions. I hope he at least disgueses it to look high tech.

    Good luck with your meeting.

    ReplyDelete