Monday, June 8, 2009

Living the Good Life

The phone rang tonight and for some reason I answered it. Fortunately visi-phones are not in wide use yet because if they were the calling party would have seen me holding a Winchester 97 riot shotgun in one hand and a couple dummy shells in the other (don't ask). The caller was from the Gallup poll and wanted my opinion! You better believe I was ready to give my opinion.
First question, an easy pitch 'Do you approve of President Obama's performance?' No! (that'll show those democrats!)
Follow up question, another easy lob over the plate 'Is the country going in the right or wrong direction?' Wrong, definitely!
Then the questions came fast and furious:
Are you satisfied with your life? Is your health good? Do you have enough to eat? Do you have a safe place to sleep? Is your neighborhood safe? If you were to be seriously ill or destitute do you have family or friends who will watch over you and help? do you have cancer, high blood pressure, depression? Thinking of your day yesterday, did you have the company of friends or family? Did you eat well, enjoy your day, suffer debilitating pain...? If you lost a wallet with $200 in it in your neighborhood, would a neighbor return it to you?

All right all ready! I admit it, my life is good! The thought that people answered no to some or all of the questions made me realize that my life is easy and satisfying and good. I don't know that it is President Obama's doing though.

But I still don't think the country is going in the right direction. So there Nancy Pelosi.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad they didn't ask what you were doing right before you answered the phone.

    I suppose they should have asked the same questions as they pertained to the last two presidents to see if your life had improved or not. Maybe you could have drawn them a graph of your happiness over Clinton's, Bush and Obama's (so far) terms, and offered to fax or email it to them.

    ReplyDelete