Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Mash

My Jeep and I don't seem to be seeing eye to headlight. It is ultra high tech with a myriad of gee-whiz electronics like stability and traction control, electric differential lockers and even satellite radio (I didn't pay for this, it came free for a year). So, what's the problem? It's making me look bad. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles since 1976 and by now I've pretty much mastered how to do it. Except with this vehicle. The accelerator pedal is drive by wire i.e. there is no physical connection between the pedal and the engine except for a wire and a bunch of streaming electrons. So, when I let the clutch out and depress the pedal nothing happens for a second while the computer decides whether I am really pushing on the pedal or maybe just kind of caressing the pedal and not actually expecting the engine RPMs to rise to match the load brought on by the clutch. When all of this is sorted out the engine starts to stumble, shudder, and.....stall. How embarrassing. The other day I took a quick jaunt up into the local hills and drove to a vantage point with a panoramic view. The children and I had a picnic there about 20 years ago when they were all small. I can still see the ravens riding the air currents rising up the promontory and swooping over us as we sat there. But I digress. After taking in the scenery I walked back to the Jeep only to see another Jeep pull up and out jumped a Dad, Mom, and their young daughter. We chatted for awhile and they looked approvingly at my cool Jeep with the neat-o winch, spotlight, highlift jack and the like. I could see their minds thinking 'this old guy is not only pretty cool but he is an old Jeep hand. Just look at his cool stuff! I bet he can drive that Jeep through anything.' I recommended the view to them and made my exit. Let the clutch out and the computer did its usual befuddled stumble and what do you know? I stalled it. The other Jeepers turned away, not willing to see my shame.

Same thing happened tonight at a traffic light. If the radio hadn't been turned up I probably would've heard someone shout 'if you can't drive it, park it Grandpa!' Sooner or later the Jeep and I are going to come to an understanding. Its job is to make me look good and if it doesn't, well then......I'll think of something.

Most Stupid Thing Seen on a Freeway: The Lexus SUV in front of me on the 10 freeway that suddenly stopped in the middle lane because the driver realized that they wanted to get off at the exit that they had almost passed by. I mean completely stopped in traffic moving 65 MPH. I swerved around them and saw other cars dodging away from the Lexus which then proceeded across 2 lanes to take the exit.

Personal bragging: Shot a 4 round 3/4" group on Saturday at 100 yards with iron sights - no optics except my eyeballs and spectacles. Used a 1955 Lee Enfield and S&B Czech Republic ball ammunition. Since I've already posted this all over the Internet I might as well put it here too. I still have the target if anyone would like me to autograph it and send it to them.

The Ipod is still spaced out. The software is corrupted at the very least. So sad.

Two days until the knee operation. I've never been operated on before. I'm not nervous mind you but I hope there isn't a long recovery period. I hate being less than 100% capable.

Speaking of cool I ordered and received today an ACU parka. I tried it out tonight when I went on errands (yes the Jeep stalled on me). The 25B clerk at the Radio Shack liked the parka but then his was free from Uncle Sugar and I had to pay for mine.

2 comments:

  1. Ack! Stalling is so embarrassing. I feel your pain. I still remember when I first started driving the Suzuki, I stalled in a parking lot with Kim in the car, and we started rolling backwards down the hill we had just crested. Believe me, she still remembers too!

    Good job on the shooting! And I will try to call you today or tomorrow before the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all goes well with your surgery. Keep us posted on your recovery.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete