Sunday, January 20, 2013

Citizen Grouch recommends: Little Century by Anna Keesey

Like most avid readers I have authors that I enjoy reading and I seek out their efforts because I know that I will like what they offer me.  Now and again I take a chance at the library and pluck a book off of the new book shelf to give it a try.  The other day the title of a book caught my eye and I pulled it off to take a look at it.  The book was
Little Century by Anna Keesey, the story of a 18 year old girl from Chicago who travels west to the Oregon prairie to stay with a distant cousin when her parents die.  The story is set at the turn of the last century and is an engaging, somewhat leisurely tale of a girl becoming a woman who stakes a homesteading claim, grows in maturity and becomes a key person in the investigation of a murder.  As the linked review mentions, at the beginning the book may be mistaken for a romance novel but there is much more to it than that.   The story held my interest and kept me involved to the melancholy finish to the book.

 I recommend it to one and all.

http://annakeesey.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete