Friday, February 7, 2014

"Lego - The Movie"

So, it is the last day of Young Son's winter school break and I sure needed a break after two solid weeks of utter disaster and unpleasantness at work so I took a day off to spend with Young Son before he goes back to the school grind.  I asked him what he'd like to do for the day and he picked seeing the Lego movie that is just out.........let me put that out there one more time: the Lego movie.  Not what I had in mind for a fun day but it was what Young Son wanted to see so I was game for it.

Legos have been big in the Grouch family since forever.  I never heard of them as a kid, we had a brick set called American Bricks that were intended to make houses from.  I used them to build ships, planes, forts, Sci-Fi machines, and the like and to stage massive battles on the living room floor between the brick ships.  I'd use spare plastic bricks thrown at each brick ship to knock pieces off until one of the ships was a floating hulk.   The Grouch kids made Lego sets and promptly took them apart to make other things out of them.  For Young Son, he and I acted out an ongoing series of adventures using Lego figures.  We had Johnny Thunder, the Professor, Bony Fingers (the villain) and the girl whose name escapes me.  It was all very Indiana Jones-ish and lots of fun but really, a feature-length movie about them?

So we saw the movie and let me say that it greatly exceeded my expectations.  I laughed so hard that my eyes watered and I probably disturbed the other 8 people in the theater with us.  Young Son was laughing about as hard as me.  It was a very funny tribute to Legos and a very lunatic story line that held its own.  It was about as inspired as 'Flushed Away' and 'Rango', two of my all time favorite funny animated movies.  It was full of inside jokes, the requisite cultural references, and very clever satire.  I loved it! 

The extreme laughter had the added bonus of completely erasing from my mind and my body the poison of the last couple work weeks. 

Go see it and go with the flow of the movies.  Relax and don't be afraid to laugh until your eyes water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment