Sunday, February 7, 2010

So, how hard was it raining?

It was raining so hard on Saturday when I was driving to drill along the I5 that one of the underpasses was flooded to the top of the concrete center divider. Fortunately for me it was on the north-bound side and I was headed south. A Caltrans truck was sitting in the water drowned out and traffic was sitting backed up to the next exit down the road. When I got to the base I parked in my usual spot which is a grassy field. I could see that it was under water but I didn't realize how much until I stepped out and water was past my ankles. I decided to find another place to park and pulled forward to make a half circle and get back to the road. I didn't get far before I was stuck but that is why I have a Jeep! I simply pulled the lever into 4WD and motored on out. I then saw the CSM's SUV sunk to the frame with his right front tire sunk to the hub. Guess the ground was a bit soft! I offered to pull him out but he declined and had an off-road forklift (bet you didn't know these existed!) yank him out. One of my soldiers then buried a stake truck in about the same area so the same forklift yanked him out too. At least it wasn't snowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment