Monday, February 22, 2010

Give...or else

It is time for the real Grouch to emerge from the shadows and give forth with some grouchiness.

So, there I was in church this past weekend. The priest announced that it is time again for "Together in Mission". This is where the diocese hits up the parishes for money for the less fortunate parishes - well actually all the parishes have to give an assessed amount of money to the diocese. Then, the diocese magnanimously will give back whatever amount they feel like to the less fortunate parishes. Seeing as how the Church is much into 'social justice' these days I am not surprised that the institution has chosen to model this forced philanthropy after the worst of the federal government; coerce money (taxes) and then give it back as it chooses (welfare, grants, etc).

Being that I am well into my middle age years I am a bit of a mellowing grouch so at this point I was not too torqued about this process. Then we were introduced to the principal of a Catholic school in Watts whose school has benefited from the TIM program. The very sincere educator detailed how the TIM program saved the school from certain closure by making much needed improvements. Ok, charity is good and getting a decent education is a worthy cause. She should have stopped there. She went to to say that our (my) money is being used to pay medical coverage and retirement for the teachers! Mrs Grouch is working as a teacher and she doesn't get these benefits from her school and here I am subsidizing some one else?! Then we learned that the students are being sent to the most prestigious high school on the west side of town and some even are being moved along to Loyola Marymount college. Well. I guess I am a major league un-mellow grouch but suddenly the forced philanthropy didn't taste so good. These kids are going to prestigious schools via my 'donations'. My kids couldn't go there without taking out major-big time school loans. I am conflicted by this whole process. We Grouches donate a sizable amount of money to the church and other charities. We send money to two children overseas to support them in their very poor circumstances. I guess I just resent being told to donate the money or else and then hearing that I'm paying someone else's benefits too. I guess I am a grouch.

I told you that my inner grouchiness was coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment