Saturday, January 23, 2010

Grouchy updates

It rained buckets all week which eliminated my biking to work. Instead I walked from the train station in Glendale (about 3 miles each way). Let it be said that by Friday I was ready to get back on the bike. The walk was getting a bit boring. One afternoon it was raining so hard the streets close to the Los Angeles river were flooded over the kerbs. I had no choice but to wade through the water to cross each intersection. I was squishing as I walked! Fortunately my ACU gortex parka kept the warmth in and the rain out. Sunny and mild today, hurray!

We went suit shopping for young son today. He has the Winter Formal dance in two weeks and Confirmation coming up so we bought a black suit for him at JC Penny's. He looks pretty snappy in it. Things have changed from my day; back when the earth's crust was still cooling and I was in high school, if you invited a girl to a dance you paid her way. Apparently this isn't the case today since the happy couple both paid for their own tickets. I guess it makes it easier on the guy at least!

Overheard on the train this week was a group of ladies talking about the earthquake in Haiti and the relief efforts. The ladies could not understand - in fact were indignant - that succor was not present on-site as soon as the shaking stopped. Where were the helicopters to pluck people from the rubble? Where was the military? Why weren't medics parachuting into the damage within the hour? That's what we have an Army for! I was bemused and puzzled at their conversation and then realized why they were so indignant: their knowledge about such things is from TV shows and the movies. And what happens in a disaster movie? why, the helicopters show up bearing hunky paramedics and cute young blond women to save the day. They have no concept of the organization and preparation required to mount an expedition such as is underway now. They're not alone in this misconception - I hear this sort of stuff frequently from other people too.

Mrs Grouch is listening to some records in the other room. Chuck Mangione - any of you heard of him? He performed with her college band at a bowl game as a celebrity guest back when; she's had a soft spot ever since for him. I on the other hand didn't perform with him, but I did see him at O'Hare airport once using a pay phone. I dithered asking him for his autograph and while I hesitated he walked off. Oh well. I did get to shake Arnold Schwarzenegger's hand so that makes up for it.
(obligatory Arnold pictures)









This was 2004 and Arnold was still having fun being Governor. He doesn't look too happy these days. I'm guessing he will be happy when this gig is over.













Any time I feel that I am looking a bit shopworn I just look at my buddy Bruce Willis and see someone who is younger than me and has a lot more money but is looking even older than the old Grouch if that is possible. Of course there is that issue of the money that he has. Maybe worrying about keeping the money safe is what is wearing him out.

I'm going to watch "Downfall" tonight, the dramitization of Hitler's last days in Berlin. I've seen numerous spoofs on you Tube that use a scene from the movie with english subtitles. They're pretty funny. I decided that I should see the real movie now. Nothing funny about it or the subject. Report to follow.

The job process is moving along. I am in the background check process now. Since this is a city government position, the city wants to be sure that nothing embarrasing will come out after I (hopefully) have been hired. The only embarrasing thing that will be uncoverd by this process are my high school and college grades!

Lastly it has been a year since my father's passing. I still miss him every day and I still think about picking up the phone and giving him a call about the good and the not so good things going on in my life. He was such a positive influence on me and his love and support over the years helped me to keep on keeping on. Thanks Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another entertaining post about everyday life!

    As I said on Claire's blog, I can't believe it has been a year already that Grandpap has been gone. He was a very positive influence on all of our lives, directly through the positive influence on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I'm a big time Chuck Magione fan. Hauled out a 4 ft stack of LPs dating back to 1972. I'll play some Chuck for Cathryn next week.

    Charlie Young

    ReplyDelete