Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kamikazi bicyclists

So there I was biking to work through Griffith park this morning. The road through the park divides about half way through and is one-way in each direction as is the bike lane that runs alongside the vehicle lane. It was a nice morning, the sun was shining and the air was pleasant. I was just starting up the hill in low gear when the sun glinted on metal at the top of the hill. What is this? a dark shape hurtling towards me? Oh no, a kamikaze bicyclist! This cycling maniac was rushing towards me going the wrong way just about as fast as humanly possible on a bike. I thought fast. If I dodged to the left and he dodged to the right we'd collide. So if I go to the right...no left...no, right....visions of the captain of the Andrea Doria confronted with the looming hull of the M.S. Stockholm just before the two ships managed to collide flashed through my brain. He hurled past me squeezing between me and the curb. He yelled 'sorry' as he rushed by. Sorry? That he was going the wrong way? That he missed running into me? That his bike's engine was out of control and he was unable to slow his speeding bike? What a maroon. Last night on the way home I spied a cyclist pedaling along towards me in my lane. I figured at some point he'd move over and pass on the left as all civilized people do. At about 25 ft from me I shouted at him. He suddenly lifted his head and almost tumbled off his bike and dodged back into his lane. Sheesh! This bicycling gig is just about as dangerous as driving.

This speaks for itself: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14177

No comments:

Post a Comment