Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dad's Memorial Service Part 2 : The Day

(click on the photos for a larger image)

Friday arrived and time to leave for the memorial service but the suit and uniform were still missing in action so we went with what we had. The weather was beautiful and the service was perfect. Each of us kids (hard to imagine us as kids!) spoke about Dad and what he meant to us. I thought that I would not have trouble when my turn came but I got emotional and could barely speak. Who would think that a grouch like me would be so weepy?




After the service we adjourned to the corner restaurant that Dad enjoyed going to. Ed arranged everything and it was perfect. We reminisced and caught up on what has been going on in each others lives. Julianna Haag, Mary's friend from high school came to the service and to the lunch. Claire, Laura, Marla, Julianna Haag and Louise Vogeley all sat at with me.




We went to the house on Barclay avenue for one last look at the Vogeley homestead. The fellow who lives across the street reworked the interior and completely modernized it. It will be a great house for a new family. The nieces and nephew could not believe that Ed and I shared a room that is approximately the size of a walk in closet for many years. Tough times makes for tough people. Or something like that.









Then, off to Ed and Louise's house for a family gathering. The rain held off and we spent many hours visiting and watching home movies that Ed recorded of us over the years. My only regrets were that Dad was not there and that Mary couldn't make the trip. Thanks to Marla for these pictures and more to follow!

Next: Part 3; touring the 'burgh.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your take on the trip. And thank goodness Marla took pictures! I'm about to steal them for my blog!!

    ReplyDelete