Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Grouch goes missing!

I'm off to Wilmington, Delaware on company business for three days. Then, on Friday Craig and I are off on a three day adventure through the Mojave desert in company with two other intrepid explorers driving the old Mojave road from the Colorado river to Barstow.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/mojavetrail.html I've done this trip twice before in the tiny Suzuki Samurai towing a small trailer. Marla went with me both times. The Samurai had no air conditioning, no power steering, actually no power at all! We had a great time. Fast forward some 15 years or so. Craig and I will do it in the 4 door Jeep with air conditioning, satellite radio and many other creature comforts. We will be going a bit later in the season so it will be hotter (downside) but Soda Lake which is considered a dry lake but isn't really won't be near impassible with gumbo alkaline mud as it is earlier in the spring (upside). We will take lots of pictures and file a full report when we return.



All of this is to let you Citizen Grouch fans know that there is no real point in checking the blog this week unless you wish to read older postings for a 'Best of the Grouch' experience.



See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad your absence will mesh so nicely with my absence! Now I won't miss any of your posts.

    I hope you and Craig have a great time, and I have to add that although I did not go on those trips with you and Marla, I understand all too well the whole "lack of power" aspect of the Suzuki. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun without me. The "No Dogs Allowed" rule meant I was unable to join you this time.

    I think the Suzuki greatly enhanced the ruggedness of our previous experiences. Plus, if not for the light wieght of the Suzuki, the other SUVs might still be stuck in the lake bed with no small vehicle to not get stuck and then winch them out.

    ReplyDelete