Sunday, April 30, 2017

Mr. and Mrs. Grouch Head South Part IV



After we finished with Slab City and the Salton Sea we headed back to Palm Springs for a ride on the aerial tramway to the top of a very high mountain.  It was cool-ish, about in the 60s at the bottom of the lift and below freezing at the top.  Of course I forgot to bring my hat and gloves!


The Missus and  I rode the tram back in the day on a Labor day weekend trip to Palm Springs.  It was over a hundred at the bottom and in the 70s at the top. We hiked for miles before riding back down.  In those days the tram was just a tram but now it spins 360 degrees to be sure everyone gets a good view.  Unfortunately the rain clouds kept visibility pretty low on the ride up.

The Missus and I have been passengers in cable tramways such as this in other places too:, the Zugspitz in Germany and Table Mountain in South Africa for example.  They are always a thrill.



We bought tickets for a round trip and dinner at the lodge at the top.  It is an experience I certainly recommend!




This is our ride heading into the station


The anticipation grows!


Up on top and it is darn cold!


I would love to go snow shoeing or just walk in the snow but no time for that foolishness

Headed down to at least stand in the snow


Yay, I made it!

People having fun in the snow

Palm Springs is down there somewhere.


1 comment: