Saturday, September 20, 2014

Adios Rake

Who knew a leaf rake would last 32 years?  Our poor, worn our rake that was purchased sometime shortly after returning to the U.S. from our stint in Germany has finally reached the retirement point.  It is the only leaf rake we have owned in our 36 years as a family but it has too many detached metal fingers and is letting too many leaves and pine needles escape when I have to rake.

I went to Lowe's today for nyjer seed for the greedy finches that we support and decided to buy a replacement rake.  An identical rake would've set me back $20, a 'good-enough' replacement was $8 and that is what I bought.  Sure, the $20 version may have lasted another 32 years but I probably won't be raking leaves when I'm 92.  If I am, I'll buy another rake.

I brought the new one home and set it beside the old rake.  I couldn't brink myself to toss it out, at least not yet.  Maybe the old one will give the youngster some tips and some family history before it leaves us.

2 comments: