Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday update

So, what's new at the Grouch household these days?  Not too much.

The other day I thought it would be nice to convert our old LP records to CDs so we can listen to them in the car or on my nifty new CD changer.  Checked around and folks wanted $20 per record to turn 'em into a CD.  Did some research and bought a record turntable at Best Buy that plugs into my ancient stereo system, with a USB port on it and software to make LPs into CDs.  After 6 LP to CD conversions it will have paid for itself.   The sound on the turntable is great and I'm having a lot of fun listening to my albums again.  The only downside is how frequently I have to get up to flip the record over. I had forgotten about that part!  It has been so long since a turntable was connected to my amp that at first the sound didn't want to come out.  Five sharp raps to the top of the amp convinced it to play and the sound is sweet!

I went on a off road trip up to the Los Padres NF today with some friends.  As I was grinding up a long, steep trail and my friend's Jeep was behind and around the corner where they conveniently couldn't see, a very large, very brown bear bolted across the trail in front of me!    I called this out over the CB radio to my friend and his wife but they didn't see old brown bear and without pictures, it never happened.  About 10 years or so ago the same thing happened on another Jeep trip in another area, only that time it was a mountain lion across the trail.  No one saw it but me.  I was shocked how fast the mountain lion blazed across the trail.  No outrunning him!

"It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya.  It pours, man it pours"  So that is what it was doing at our house last week.  Two days, two rain storms.  Who could imagine?

The rain - the evidence



No comments:

Post a Comment