Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Grouch v. Virus - victory!

It took a truly international effort and three nights but the virus has been vanquished.  I contacted my anti-virus provider via their website; a young woman representative from Canada called me back - her strong Canadian accent gave her away (BTW, why do adult voices sound young vs every other age up when they don't sound young until senior citizen time when they sound old?).  She arranged the next night for a tech from India to call me who took over my PC before my very eyes, detected bad files, blasted them to oblivion, ran numerous detection and deletion programs from around the world, told me the PC was clean, ran the anti-virus one more time and....it was still infected.  'That is so sad' he told me.  So, I was told to stand by my phone the next night between 8 and 10 p.m. when a big gun was going to call and resolve the issue.  I got the call at 9 and he went to work.   This guy was all business, very brisk and confident.  He ran a couple more programs, deleted stuff, reinstalled stuff and fixed a problem with Windows while he was at it.  An hour later all was good and he signed off.

An unsettling thought came to me while I was going through all of this.  What if the anti-virus companies are the creators of the viruses to begin with?  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  Who will watch the watcher?  We may be doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment