Monday, April 16, 2012

Nostalgia so strong it almost hurts

I guess my advancing age is causing my brain to do weird things and dredge up old memories that have been long submerged.   Tonight I suddenly was transported to Ft. Lauderdale circa early 60s to a hot and humid July evening.  My family and grandparents had just dined at Patricia Murphy's, a swank restaurant at the Bahia Mahr marina.  Murphy's had a wonderful garden surrounding the building with tropical plants that a small boy could wander through on the paths that wound through the grounds.  A dock was nearby where a party boat would pick up passengers for a cruise on the intercoastal waterway.  I was standing by the water as the boat churned by, lit with colored Japanese lanterns and crowded with revelers laughing and having a great time.   As they passed by some couples on the deck shouted over to me "we'll be back!"  I remember at that moment I wanted to be on that boat more than anything in the world.  My father was standing beside me and said that they must have thought we were waiting to go for a ride.  I knew that I was.  I saw that boat disappear into the darkness, still with the sounds of the laughing and music.  It was magic to a little boy.   I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Does this mean I'm getting old when the past is almost as real as today?

1 comment:

  1. I'd say it's quite the opposite; I'm impressed your memory is so good!! I can't remember things from just a few years ago. You painted a beautiful picture with that story. Funny the things that stand out to us.

    ReplyDelete