Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sarah's Key

I'm pretty much a guy's guy; I like manly things and when I'm reading a book it sure isn't going to be about a middle-aged American woman married to a French guy and living in Paris writing about her marital woes.  I surprised myself with this book:  "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay.  It is a novel based on a real event:  the French handled round up of Jews in Paris in 1942 and the subsequent murder of them, parents and children.  The story cuts back and forth between Sarah, a 10 year old girl caught in the round up and suffering under horrific conditions, and the before-mentioned woman who in the early part of the 00s takes an assignment to write about the round up for a Paris based magazine.    I found the story impossible to put down, extremely sad, and very compelling.  Not a feel-good book at all but well worth reading and should be required reading with a mandatory essay for any Holocaust denier.

A Citizen Grouch must-read.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, when I started it I wasn't sure, but I could not put it down. I wonder how the movie is.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete