Friday, September 25, 2009

Voice from the past

The Missus insisted that I delete some of the 1,000 plus emails that have piled up in the Grouch family email in-box so during a slow time at work today I spent a few minutes deleting them. The military related emails went flying into the delete folder as did the forwarded cute videos of pandas riding unicycles and the like. Then on to emails regarding on-line auctions, boy scout meetings and other long past events. The emails from the Grouch children got to stay around a bit longer. Some of those went back to 2002! Then I stumbled across an email from my dad. It was just a short reply to something trivial we had talked about on one of my Sunday evening calls to him. Then I found another and yet one more written shortly before he departed Forest Hills for the rest home in State College. It was as if I could hear his voice again through the short little messages from him. I hadn't meant to save them but they were saved and now he has reached out from the past and touched me in the present.

I miss him.

1 comment:

  1. I have many of the letters Grandpap sent me over the years. It is nice to go back through them and see his handwriting and think about him.

    ReplyDelete