Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grouch-y reviews

Here are several mini reviews for a movie and some music. If I had anything of substance to write about today I would so this is the best I can do.

Mini Movie Review:

We rented "The Children of Huang Shi" last weekend. This is the true story of a British journalist, George Hogg, who during the Japanese invasion of China in 1937 takes over the care of 60 orphan Chinese boys and then marches them several hundred miles to safety to escape the fighting and the Chinese military that wishes to draft the teenage boys. The story was great, the scenery was stunning, and overall we really liked it. Craig even gave it a thumbs-up so if it held his attention it is worth seeing.



Mini Music Review:

One of my enduring favorite singers in Lorenna McKinnett. She sings mostly Celtic music and her voice is fantastic. I first heard her on NPR radio in 1988 and quickly bought a cassette tape of her songs. She has done songs to classic poems such as 'The Lady of Chalott" and "The Highway Man". When she was still a relative unknown I just missed seeing her at a small club in Hollywood - I couldn't believe she was playing there but it was too late to get tickets. Now she is a major performer and I still probably can't get tickets. Anyway, give her a listen if you like Celtic type music. She's pretty good.


So, how can a group have two excellent songs and the rest is pretty much unlistenable? I refer to Coldplay and the two good songs are "Clocks" and "Viva la Vida". The rest leave me cold. (hee-hee).




That's all folks!






1 comment:

  1. I will have to mention that movie to my husband, it sounds like something he would really enjoy. And your granddaughter absolutely adores the song "Viva la Vida"! Sounds like good taste runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete