Thursday, September 10, 2009

My not so close brush with the famous

I started to the train station on the bike early this morning and realized that something was wrong with my front gear set. I couldn't shift into the highest ring so I was stuck in medium range. This is like being in 2nd gear in your car. Lots of pedal spinning and not going very fast. I discovered that the cable that controls the front gear set was one strand from breaking completely. If that happens then the shifter defaults to the lowest (smallest) gear and I really wouldn't be going anywhere fast. So...I was taking it pretty easy, riding slowly and not putting too much strain on the drive train. As I approached the turn to Griffith Park I noticed a couple spandex clad cyclists on their expensive road bikes in front of me. As I followed along behind them I noticed several more guys with similar attire and bikes up ahead. Then a group passed us. Then some more passed us. As we approached the parking lot for the zoo it was filled with mobs of cyclists. Hundreds would be my guess. These folks were everywhere, unloading bikes from cars, riding in circles, comparing spandex outfits (well, I didn't see the last but I bet it was going on) and other bikey type things. With my broken bike and slow speed I figured I would be in the way with whatever was going on so I detoured to the L.A. river bike path and enjoyed having it all to myself.

Later at work I heard on the news that Lance Armstrong was leading an impromptu bike ride through Griffith Park and had traffic snarled throughout the area. According to Kurt, Lance twittered that he was going for a ride at the park and hundreds showed up. And to think I was one of them and didn't even know it!

1 comment:

  1. They could tell you didn't belong since you weren't in spandex. Or were you?

    ReplyDelete