Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tortoise tales and other stories

I can't seem to leave the topic of tortoises but since I posted twice already on this subject, one more won't hurt. A couple of years ago I was on a flight across country. I was sitting in my cramped little seat between two sumo wrestlers when I felt something nudge my ankle. This was before the Senator got in trouble in the men's room for that sort of thing so I wasn't alarmed in that regard. I thought that the person behind me was pushing something under the seat with his/her foot. I felt it again. I glanced at the wrestlers but both were sitting in stony silence, arms folded. I felt it again, this time whatever it was, it was moving! What the heck is this...? I folded myself in half and managed to reach down and pick up a....turtle! There was a turtle on the loose on the plane! Fortunately it was not a snapping turtle or we may have had our very own version of 'Snakes on a Plane' only starring a vicious little terrapin wreaking havoc on the terrified passengers. This little creature seemed to be dazed and wondering if he was still in Schenectady or wherever he started from. I rang the stewardess button and after conferring with her I gingerly handed over the turtle. She made an announcement and a lady up towards the front of the plane shrieked and waved her hands over her head when she realized that the turtle was her turtle! How many turtles did she think were being carried on the plane by passengers? It took her about 5 minutes to realize that yes, the loose turtle was indeed hers.

And now for something completely different I went to see yet another doctor today, a member of the Indian Doctor Mafia. My GP is a son of the Indian subcontinent (a different way to say Indian so there is no confusion with Native American Indians - although if a person whose parents were born in India is born in the U.S., does that make him a native American Indian?) and so he refers me to docs of the same persuasion. Now, being that I am a grouch you are assuming that I am going to complain about this but you are wrong. I have never been so pleased in my life. These fellows are all young, urbane, well spoken, engaging, concerned, punctual...need I go on? They are a pleasure to work with. I leave their office feeling like I will be invited to their children's wedding when the time comes. I only wish that others in the medical field had the same package that these fine medicos have.

I met my Sweetheart tonight at the local fast food joint as I came home from my most recent medical experience. It was just like a date! Ahh, the good old days...

And lastly I added yet another Colt pistol to my burgeoning armory today. My Dad was a fan of the Colt .45 pistol and qualified as a Marksman with one during his military service. So in his memory I acquired one today and when I shoot it I will do so in his memory and honor.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard that turtle on a plane story before. I'm really starting to be impressed with all of the escaping techniques these turtles seem to possess.

    In my younger days, I had a doctor from India who was wonderful. Although my favorite was still Dr. C, the one you and I both went to. I miss the days of my doctor recognizing me-now it's all the fun and excitement of who will I get this time at the military clinic.

    ReplyDelete