Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Return of the Grouch

Hello fellow Grouchians! I hope you haven't been worried that I haven't posted an update in about a week - you did notice didn't you? Truth be told, not much has transpired of interest in my life recently but I can't go more than a week without writing something so here goes....


As some may know California is still experiencing a drought and we are all expected to do our part to conserve water. The other morning I was contemplating the shower that was running while I was waiting for the water temperature to go from ice cold to hot and thinking about all the water going down the drain. The proverbial light bulb illuminated in my brain and gave me an idea. I placed a small bucket in the shower to capture the warm up water and ended up with the bucket about a third full which I poured on a rose bush when I went outside to raise the flag and bring in the paper. Mary has embraced the bucket and works hard to capture even more water. Now we have another thing to talk about and to be competitive over: how much water did you get in the bucket this morning? Hah! is that all? I got half a bucket! You can see what it is like when a couple has been together more than 30 years. The rose bushes appreciate it.


This past Monday it was over 100F; today we were lucky if we made it to 60F and the brisk winds have made it feel even colder. I was hoping to start using the pool soon but with this cold/windy weather only the polar bears will feel like swimming in our pool.


Last night Craig and I watched 'Red Dawn' the early 80s John Milius fantasy of the small town high school boys who take on the Red Army in the Colorado Rockies. I love watching 'old' movies with my kids, even if I don't think of them as old. Any movie that I saw in a first run theater is not old to me. At the beginning Craig commented that the movie was really cheesy but soon he was engrossed and by the climax he was chewing his nails over the tension. Who will live and who will die? When it was over he said that it was too sad to watch it again. Jennifer Gray, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen and a young Patrick Swaze are in it along with Powers Boothe, Harry Dean Stanton and Ben Johnson. Music by Basil Poledouris. Tonight we will have another Vogeley classic to watch. What will it be? Earth v. Flying Saucers perhaps?


2 comments:

  1. I had been wondering where my daily grouch dose was!

    I saw something you can buy to attach to your shower head that keeps the water flow low while your shower heats up and then you can switch it on when you are ready. I like the bucket idea, maybe I will have to start doing that. We are always on watering restrictions here, only allowed to do sprinklers 3 days a week. People will turn you in too, so I make sure to follow my days!

    PS. Tell Craig I said "Wolverines!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, Mom and I were just discussing this movie. Is that what made you watch it? I forget exactly what we were discussing, though. I gave Mom an idea for the shower also, but I think Claire's is a better idea.

    I keep watering my lawn more and more but it is still turning brown, so if we get water restrictions, at least I will have a good reason to give up.

    ReplyDelete