Thursday, April 2, 2009

Something to be thankful for

Our modern world has benefited from many amazing advances both in science and in our social interactions with each other Many hours can be spent arguing over what bit of progress is the most significant for our lives. I won't argue but I will state that I personally find the advances in medicine and medical knowledge in the last 30 years to be breathtaking. Over and over again I reflect that medical conditions that would have been debilitating or fatal in the past are easily treated today with a complete cure the expected result. These days if someone enters a hospital and actually dies of a disease it is shocking for us. These things just don't happen anymore, at least not in the industrialized world. Several years ago my Father and I went to the cemetery in Pittsburgh where many of his relatives are buried to see if we could locate his Civil War veteran uncle. The search was fruitless but the cemetery manager let us look through the burial registration book for the turn of the century. The reason for death was recorded in the book and the number of people who died in their prime from simple illness was staggering. The easing of our lives by reducing our health issues has changed our society significantly. I am glad that I and my loved ones live in today's era of progress. Now if we could just get the civility of the 50s combined to today's advancements things would be wonderful!

For something a bit more trivial Craig and I got our monthly haircuts today. I got sheared for my monthly drill and Craig got the sheepdog look trimmed back a bit. The barber did not realize what the implications of giving Craig a hairstyle with his part in the center of his head were. As soon as we left the shop Craig shook his head and got the hair back where it belonged. You do know what it means when the hair is parted in the center don't you? Of course you had to live in the early 70s to know it.

1 comment:

  1. How could I forget about the concern over parting your hair in the middle. That is so funny!

    I always think that I sure am lucky to have been born when I was...I probably would have died from an asthma attack a long time ago if I had lived in the past. Sad to think about all those people cut down in the prime of life. Then again I wonder if 200 years from now people will be shocked by all the people dying at the "young" ages of 80 or 90.

    ReplyDelete