Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Grouch Goes Flying! Part II

Before the T-6 ride I had the opportunity to see Fifi, one of two flying B-29 bombers in the world today.  It flew in for rides to those lucky enough to have the dough for a hop in this great aircraft.  the other B-29 known as 'Doc' was also recovered from China Lake.  Both had survived decades as targets for aerial bombing, neither having been hit in all that time.  I'd like to think that the Navy pilots intentionally missed the planes.

My friends and I visited 'Doc' in Inyokern many years ago when it had just been dragged through the desert from China Lake, prior to its restoration.  It is great to have two of these aircraft flying again!




Fifi waiting for the next group of eager passengers

This person must have enjoyed the ride!






The Missus was getting some walking in while waiting for Young Daughter to show up for my T-6 hop.  I'm being confident of my masculinity and watching her purse while she went for a walk.

Starting the engines is quite a production!

Also giving rides was this C-45, a variant of the AT-11 that my Dad flew in when testing Norden bombsights.  He talked fondly of the plane.   The day that he died a C-45 flew low over me as I walked in the mountains.  I like to think it was his spirit winging his way to heaven and to my Mom and Sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment