Sunday, March 20, 2016

Little red Fiat update

Young son has had three driving sessions in the little red Fiat.  Young daughter stopped by today to give him some wheel time in the local school parking lot.  She is quite the accomplished clutch driver, having been self-taught on a Brit right hand drive Land Rover in the UK while on duty there with the Air National Guard.  She now owns a Miata and HD motorcycle, both clutch transmissions.

Session #1 for Young Son was frustrating for both student and teacher but I think I kept my cool more or less intact even as wt bunny-hopped down the street in the poor little car.

Session #3 with me this afternoon was in the local industrial park, mostly deserted on a Sunday afternoon.  In short order Young Son was starting and stopping the car without stalling.  He then progressed to starting, shifting to second and stopping. By the time we had finished for the day he was up to 4th gear, downshifting, and stopping.  Yay for him!  Soon he will be ready for the local streets with other  traffic.  But in the meantime I  get to keep driving it to the train station every day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like he is catching on much quicker than I did. I remember it taking just about forever to learn. In my defense, the Suzuki was a bit tricky! :)

    ReplyDelete