Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Guilty Pleasure: "The Paradise" on Masterpiece Theater

I stumbled on "The Paradise" on Masterpiece theater the other day.  It is a story of a department store in England sometime in the 19th century post the Indian Mutiny.  It is a soap opera hiding in a gorgeous period piece.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/paradise/

I was instantly hooked by the characters, the vibrant colors, and musical score.  The storyline is compelling too.  It didn't help things at all that I picked up the story in the middle of season two but I was able to deduce certain pieces of the plot to figure out the dynamics of the story.  I then went to the PBS website and watched the 30 second previews of the season I episodes as well as the first and second episodes of season II so I now have a solid idea of what the heck is going on.

I'm a sucker for this type of show having watched many of the original Upstairs/Downstairs episodes and then the follow up Upstairs/Downstairs that was on a year or so ago.

If you get the chance, watch the episodes on the website but hurry, apparently when the season ends, so does the online access to the complete shows.



No comments:

Post a Comment