Sunday, November 27, 2011

Man vs. Washing Machine

So, the other night I was sitting at the reloading bench in the garage happily cranking out .30-06 rounds and listening to Loreena McKinnett when the Missus came in to check on the wash in the machine and exclaimed in dismay that the machine wasn't working.  I peered into the open tub and saw it full of wet clothes and soapy water.   The machine wasn't running obviously.  Being the man in the relationship I stepped forward to resolve the problem. "Step aside" I said to the Missus so she went back into house and left me to fix the machine.  I pushed the knob in to 'stop'.  Then back to 'on'.  Nothing.  I did it twice.  No luck.  I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in, turned the wash selector around a couple times and pushed it in and out.  Nada.   I opened and closed the lid a couple times.  Suddenly it started!  I went in and told the Missus that it was fixed.  She came out and opened the lid and closed it.  It didn't start.  I opened the lid and banged it closed.  It started.  I knew we were living on borrowed time. 

I consulted the Internet.  The problem was the lid switch.  I found instructions on how to replace the switch so I ordered the part and crossed my fingers that the washer would continue to work until I could get to it.  Surprisingly it kept working until this past Saturday when I decided to replace the switch. 

The directions described two different models which had different steps to get the washer apart to access the switch.  I had to get the control console off but couldn't accomplish it so I pried the back of it open and peered in.  I saw the release clips but didn't have the right tool to reach them.  A quick trip to the kitchen and I found a camping knife that was just the right thickness.  I bent it 90 degrees and success!   The console was off and the clips exposed that had to be removed in order to loosen the washer casing.  Off came the clips and I yanked the casing off.  Except I didn't need to do that.  The switch was in plain sight and popped right off and the new one popped on. There was no need to remove the casing of the washer.   Now I had to put the washer back together.  Note to self:  memorize how everything fit together before taking it apart.  I must have put that washer back together 5 times before suddenly realizing that this part fit behind that part and the spring clips went under the notches and over to fit into the slots.  A fair amount of muttered profanity helped.    I held it all together with 100 mile an hour tape while I fit everything together so it wouldn't all flop around while I tried this and that.

Interestingly once it was back together and slid back into place the machine actually worked.  I think it vibrates less now.  I had fun opening and closing the lid and watching the machine stop and start.  Now I feel ready to fix anything on the washer.   The Missus says that if it breaks again we're getting a new one.  Wonder why?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment