Friday, March 4, 2011

Double bottom Gravel hauler 1 - Aztek 0

So, today is my every other Friday off day from work.  It is also a special day, that being my 33rd  anniversary of our wedding on a cold snowy day in March as I was in transit between Aberdeen Proving Grounds MD and duty with the mighty 66th Maintenance company, 87th Maintenance battalion, 2nd Support command, 7th Army, USAREUR.  How's that for impressive?   Today my plan was to take young son to school in the Aztek, bring said car home, change in ACUs, buy gas for the Aztek, scoot down the I-5 to Los Alamitos JFTB, obtain my CAC (common Access Card) at the base, scoot by old office and say hello to my former co-workers, swing by the Missus' school, give her an anniversary present and take her to lunch, go back home and pass by the trophy shop to pick up the $160 trophy I am donating to the unit (I thought it would be $60 but oh well) go to the high school and pick up young son, take him to his 2nd job interview at Magic Mountain and then back home for dinner out with the Missus.

Well, I got as far as scoot down the I-5.   As I approached the 118 cross over a double bottom semi gravel truck decided he liked my lane better than his.  When I saw him start over I braked, blew the horn and moved to the left but got hit by one of his duals.  BANG!  Then BANG-BANG-BANG as the Aztek got dragged along by the trailers.  I tried to turn away but the car seemed to be caught by the trailer.  There was much screeching from the poor Aztek.  The semi drove on and I thought he was going to flee so I blew the pitiful single-note horn on the Aztek and followed after him.  The car tires were making a loud screeching sound like the longest skid imaginable.  He pulled over about a 1/4 mile down the road and I pulled over behind him.  The whole right side of the Aztek was pushed in and the front tires were pointed in different directions.  Poor Aztek!   It managed to stay upright and more or less under control.  I guess the rally package paid off.

When I got to the semi and spoke to the driver he told me he spoke no english.  His driver's license was from Mexico and his insurance from Bargain Insurance Agency.  Great!   A VW bug had also pulled over and the driver told me she had seen the whole thing and saw the truck hit me and thought the Aztek was going to roll over during the accident.  I was pretty hazy on what transpired.   When the CHP officer was taking my statement I couldn't even say for sure what lane I was in or what time it happened.  I thought I would react more steadily than that!   The tow driver later told me when he saw the damage that every car v. semi accident he's seen on the freeway resulted in the car rolling and being demolished.  He was amazed that the car stayed upright.  He also had never seen an Aztek before!

I have a bad feeling that the Aztek is history.  I hope not but considering its age and the damage it will probably be totaled which means that we're out a perfectly good car.  Oh, and I had just spent $50 on gas!  I wonder if I can syphon it out?

Thanks Aztek, you probably saved my life.  If I had been in the Jeep it surely would have rolled many times.

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for the Rally Edition that we always joke about! I read about this on FB then came over here hoping to read more since it is too early to call. It is scary how such a little decision (driving the Aztec rather than the Jeep) can have such huge consequences (this time for the best.) I can't even think about a different outcome to this story. I love you Dad and Happy Anniversary! (Although not the scenario you had in mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you are okay! It's completely understandable that you felt so shaken up...my car accident was what, 12 years ago? I cried uncontrollably for hours afteward, so I think you did a lot better than me! I still remember my accident and think about it from time to time. Good job Aztek, for standing up to that truck!

    ReplyDelete