Sunday, January 2, 2011

Snow!

Today started as a rainy overcast day. About mid-way through mass the rain turned to sleet and then to beautiful snow. The congregation started to murmur and the organist broke into several bars of "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas". Young son raced outside to witness the 'act of God' as he put it along with other young and enthusiastic kids.
After we got home in the afternoon he and I went Christmas tree hunting with the Jeep and trailer again. This is the main source of our winter firewood supply. the Missus felt I am sufficiently grown up and last father's day gave me a chain saw which I put to good use yesterday to cut up 5 trees. We rounded up another 5 today which will give us enough wood in a year when it is dried out for most of a winter's recreational fire season which is about one night a week.
The snow got heavier and the Missus took some pictures:

It continued to snow until this evening but now the temperature is dropping and the slush on the roads will probably freeze. Tomorrow's commute could be an adventure! The non Grouch family members should know the last time any snow accumulation occurred was in 1989 when we got several inches of snow overnight which pretty much shut this area down until the afternoon. It will be interesting to see what the morning brings!












2 comments:

  1. It's still hard to believe that you all got snow! Young brother told me about it last night and I got to see his pictures. Funny to me how many of my Facebook friends were talking about it being the first time it had ever snowed there...I guess most of them moved there after me. February, 1989...I'll never forget being woken up and told there was snow outside. What a fun day that was with sledding behind the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Snow and I missed it. Looks like the snow in 1989 was more snowy than this time. I hope everyone is able to stay safe driving.

    ReplyDelete