Sunday, November 7, 2010

"The Passage"

So, the missus read this book over the summer "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. She told me a bit about it and it seemed silly and implausible. She told me I should read it but I declined. Just recently she brought it home from the library and implored me to read it. "We need to discuss it!" she told me. So, I reluctantly started to read it. The first chapter....meh...the second chapter, hmm, interesting....the third chapter, whoa! I could not put this book down. What a tale! During the whole book I kept telling the missus, "this book better not have a dumb ending." Well, it didn't, but only because it is part of a trilogy, and the next book isn't due for two years! Give me a break!!

I will be thinking about this book for a long time. The book is ultimately an epic quest and the vision and sweep of the book is amazing. This one gets a Grouch thumbs up and an A+!

p.s. DO NOT read the forum at the book website unless you want the whole book spoiled for you. Many of the posts reveal the ending.

p.p.s. Read the book! The missus was in tears at the end and even this grouch was a bit misty-eyed.

3 comments:

  1. I guess it's time for me to head to my library to find this book. I seem to recall it being mentioned to me previously, but I still haven't looked into it. I hate the torture of books in a series, that will be the only bad part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly an extraordinary book--the kind that makes you stay up late to finish because you absolutely can't set it down.
    I got truly lost in this book--it is a fascinating, disturbing and mind stretching novel. The characters are very well drawn--witty, human, touching. I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for volume two "The Twelve" due out this October! One request though: can the characters please stop dropping and losing their firearms everytime they get into a fight with the smokes?

    ReplyDelete