Friday, October 29, 2010

Time for some grouchiness

I don't know which grouchy complaint to write about: the friend who got the layoff with a large serving of no dignity allowed, or the incredibly poor 'we could care less' customer service incident. So, I will write about both.

A husband of the missus' friend and his co-workers were called to the conference room several weeks ago to receive the bad news: layoffs. Bummer, but then we are all vulnerable these days. However, it is bad enough to get this news, but it gets even worse: they were told to grab their jackets and purses and clear the building immediately. Talk about a kick in the rear after you've already been knocked down! No dignity allowed, no time to get the mind around the sudden, wrenching change in direction. They were permitted to return at a later date to retrieve their possessions. What has happened to treating people with dignity?

Here's my second grouch: I went to the type of store that requires the purchaser to supply two types of ID to buy certain things that start with g and end with n unless there are more than one such item being bought in which case it begins with g and ends with s. So, I handed over my ID and did the deed. At the end of the transaction the clerk said I was done and being as I had an hour drive ahead of me, I hurriedly exited the store for home. Five days later I went to retrieve something from my wallet and realized that I had left both my driver's license and military ID at the store. My fault, but the store not only had the ID, they also had my phone number. Couldn't they have called me? So, I called them. They said they'd look around and call me back. Three hours later and no call. I decided to drive to the store since it is only 20 minutes from where I work. Got to the store, asked the girl at the register about the ID. She knows nothing. She directs me to the guy behind the counter. He says go talk to the girl, she has the lost and found. She knows nothing. The guy says he knows nothing but they'll look around and call me. I say how long can it take to look in this small store? They say come back later. I say I will have to file a police report for the missing military ID. They call the manager. He won't come out but says to look in the lost and found box that the girl at the register has. She looks and pulls out my DL. I ask about the military ID. She pulls that out too. I leave before I say anything I will regret. A week later I stop at the store on the way home from drill to pick up the thing that begins with G and ends with N. I've already paid for everything. They tell me I owe another $40 before I can take it. I say no way. I say their policy is that everything is paid in full when the transaction is complete. They say that is true but I owe another $40. I don't have my receipt with me. They tell me to pay up or too bad. I spy the guy who waited on me and drag him into the conversation. He says that he remembers what happened and reminds the manager that the information was entered into the computer wrong and he had to redo it which is why it shows me owing another $40. The manager looks really steamed. He gives me the thing and walks off. I thank him, the guy who spoke up, and the guy who is standing there watching the whole thing and leave. I vow never, ever, ever to go back.

Now I no longer feel grouchy.

2 comments:

  1. Good grief, what a way to run a business! Hard to believe they'd just look at the license and military ID and think, "Eh, oh well" and not call you or anything. And that's so pretty crappy service for the other transaction as well. What an ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lame on their part. Something similar happened to me but in an even smaller store- A Baskin Robbins. I dropped my debit card, realized when I got to the car I didn't have it and went right back in. They swore it wasn't there so I retraced my steps back to the car but it was not there either. So I went back to the store and implored them to ask around and finally they found it, already put in an envelope. I was gone for about 10 seconds and they found it, put it in an envelope, then lost it!

    Too bad about the layoffs- I know our friend was taken back but I feel bad for the people who were not.

    ReplyDelete