Friday, September 24, 2010

Rant interlude: The moons of Jupiter

Jupiter is the closest approach to Earth it has been since 1963 and won't again be until 2022. I read 'Farmer in the Sky' by Robert Heinlein as a teen about the terraforming and colonization of Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system and by default the largest moon of Jupiter. Tonight I unlimbered the spotting scope and trained in on Jupiter. At 45x I could see some color on Jupiter and three of the moons in a line, one being Ganymede. Maybe someday people will colonize a terraformed Ganymede and be farmers in the sky. I hope for our survival as a species something of that nature comes to pass.

1 comment:

  1. Ah the telescope...an excellent memory from my childhood! I remember you pointing out different stars and planets to us at various times, and I was always amazed that you were able to find them in the giant sky. It must be a "dad thing" :)

    ReplyDelete