Friday, September 3, 2010

Finders, Keepers

So the missus found a watch on one of her marathon walks about a week ago. Somewhere there is a very sad nerd because we found his watch. It is a Casio G-shock digital watch, alarm, stop watch and probably time travel device. It is big, black, and plastic. In fact it is huge. It was laying on the sidewalk so she scooped it up and brought it home. Being a good citizen and all around nice person she placed signs in the area giving our phone number to any nerd who may have lost a watch. No one called. Perhaps someone's wife or girl friend snatched it off the wrist of their nerd0-inclined significant other and threw it out the window of a moving car because they couldn't stand its beeping and multiple displays and looming presence and that is how it ended up on the sidewalk. But I digress. Today I stepped up the tempo on our shared good-citizenishness and took said nerd watch to the local p0lice station to turn it in so it may be reunited with its grieving owner. The nice person on duty took all of my information and the watch. As he was turning away I called after him to ask just what the procedure is to claim the watch if Mr. Nerd does not come forward to claim it? I was told that there is no 'claiming it'. If no one comes for it then it is destroyed. End of story. It seemed to be to be a real disincentive to turn in found property and I felt compelled to say so. Another deputy chimed in (we have deputies because we have a Sheriff because this once was indeed the wild west) and said that no one turns in stuff and no one comes to the station to look for stuff - unless it is a wallet. Silly me. So, I took the watch, left my name and phone number in case someone realizes that their giant G-Shock watch is missing and foolishly shows up looking for it.

It's on my wrist now. It is growing on me, actually.

1 comment:

  1. It is a snazzy looking watch. Since you are wearing it does that make you a Nerd (capital N)? Or since you recognize the Nerd Value, does that mean you are immune to its Nerdiness?

    ReplyDelete