Sunday, December 13, 2009

They don't get it from me!

I was doing my father duty today and pulling a one hour shift with Craig at the U-cut-it Christmas tree lot supervising the Boy Scouts selling mistletoe as a fundraiser for the Boy Scout troop. Craig and his friend Craig were the Scouts on duty flogging the mistletoe to the sometimes reluctant marks-I mean customers- going in and out of the lot. Craig was being pretty funny and his buddy Craig was almost as silly as he was. In fact they were being very funny and I was even laughing. Kurt is another one who can make me laugh out loud with his stories. He is what I guess is called a raconteur and does indeed tell a story skillfully with wit. He reminds me of my grandfather who would tell stories about his life as a young man that would leave me in absolute stitches from laughing so hard. My daughters are pretty funny too, especially in their writing; they are both accomplished essayists and can write a piece that will make even the grouchiest grouch crack a smile and laugh. Even Mrs. Not a Grouch is pretty darn funny so I guess I do know where they get this talent even though it isn't from me!

3 comments:

  1. Kurt and I were discussing this just a few days ago. I said the reason I seem funny to people is not because I am funny, but because funny things happen to me. I'm merely relating my life to people, and they laugh at it. Which when you think about it, is actually pretty insulting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to say though, that my "funniness" can never compare to Kurt's. I think he takes the cake in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno Dad, you can relate a pretty amusing story yourself. And who was it who used to be silly with his toothpick? That is probably where we get it from. Plus, I agree that Kurt is the funniest and Claire isn't far behind...

    ReplyDelete