Friday, December 4, 2009

Road Trip part 2

After we left the cafe at Bodfish we set off for the RA memorial trail up into the mountains. We call this the RA memorial trail (which are the initials of one of our group) not because he perished on the trail but because his battery did. The trail is so rough that it shook his battery apart. When he shut off his Jeep and then restarted it, the battery exploded and put a large dent in the hood of his Jeep. It was pretty exciting. This time the snow cushioned the trail so that is was a lot smoother. The switchbacks going up have a sheer drop off for most of the way which if you would be unlucky enough to fall you would have a clear couple hundred foot drop. With the mud and then snow on the trail and the slippery conditions I was a bit white knuckled as we ground our way up to the top. Once at the top of the mountain range (8,000 ft) we were in some pretty nice snow.


(click on the pics for a large view)

The snow wasn't deep but it was pretty!

The trusty steeds that got us there


A man and his Jeep!
We drove on and all too soon we started descending and coming out of the snow down to the mud. I had my satellite radio tuned to NPR and listened to Prairie Home Companion which was a first for me; it was pretty enjoyable actually. We came out through Jawbone, back along highway 14 and eventually back to Santa Clarita. Total miles were in the range of 250. A fun way to spend a Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Bodfish! I think we were told there is no such thing as a bodfish, it is just a name. Some trivia for you.

    The snow looks pretty. I think I have become a whimp and I might not have enjoyed the white knuckle part.

    ReplyDelete