Thursday, July 16, 2009

The happy bicyclist

How do you tell a happy motorcyclist? By all the bugs in his teeth! Get it? You know, he's happy so he's smiling all the time when he's riding his motorcycle and those darn bugs just get stuck to his teeth like a grill on a '51 Buick....Well, I guess I am a happy bicyclist but I can't say I'm smiling all the time while riding but today I got my share of bugs - in the mouth and down the throat. There were swarms of tiny nats all along my bike route this morning. I could feel them bouncing off my face and my sunglasses and then it happened. Some nats right in the open mouth. I spit most of them out but a couple got swallowed. I wonder what the calorie count is on nats and what the serving size is? A little bit further along it happened again. I guess I need to be less slack-jawed when riding. I must have a vaguely Neanderthal look to me as a pedal along with my mouth half open and a dazed expression on my face. I guess it serves me right to ingest bugs.

Hurray! Mary is back home after a week in North Carolina. I didn't manage to burn the house down while she was gone and I ate fairly regularly and even did the wash once but it was a good thing that the cleaning ladies were scheduled to come the day of her arrival. All the evidence of my slack living was whisked away and the house made sparkling clean.

Tomorrow (Friday) Mary, Marla and I are going to see 'Spamalot' at the Ahmenson theater at downtown Los Angeles. We are all looking forward to seeing it. Saturday we wrap up our chores around the house to get it ready for our week long absence while we vacation at Big Bear lake. It will be Mary, Marla, me, and five dogs. I'm looking forward to it and hopefully I will have some nice pictures to share when we get back the following weekend. It will be nice to leave the 104F heat behind and trade it for highs in the low 80s and nights in the 50s.

1 comment:

  1. I would almost prefer the swallowed bugs to all the ones that manage to end up in my eyes! The Army Man had to perform minor surgery on me a few weeks ago to extract a tiny bug that had decided to make it's home in my eyeball. Yuck!

    I had to laugh at the expression while riding your bike, I imagine I look exactly the same while running, complete with a bright red face.

    We wish we got to go on vacation with you, that sounds wonderful. We already miss Nana, Laura and Moxie have been pouting for the last few days. Apparently I am just not as much fun.

    PS. I'm guessing 5 calories for gnats, 10 for flies.

    ReplyDelete