Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Coyote gangs

We've been seeing a coyote lurking around behind our house over the last week or so. Today when I was walking the dogs on the road behind the house Roscoe was almost dinner for a coyote gang. He saw the decoy standing in the brush and went charging after him. The coyote was so large I thought it was a small deer and ran after Roscoe calling him because I didn't want the deer to be injured. I quickly saw what was going on; there were more coyotes waiting for the decoy and Roscoe further on up the hill. The hill is covered in heavy undergrowth so I could only catch glimpses of the pack and Roscoe but either he finally heeded my calling or he realized that he was getting in over his head but he finally returned to me. The decoy coyote tried to lure him back but I kept both dogs moving along. We went back to the house but I thought we could continue on past the house for a little more walking when I saw the pack was following us on the hill opposite of our house so I quickly got the dogs up the hill to our back yard. For good measure I chucked some rocks at the gang but they vanished into the undergrowth. That was a close one!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when the same thing happened to McDuff. I always think it is weird that coyotes will kill and eat dogs. Seems like canabilism to me.

    I saw a truly mangy coyote on the side of the road. It was large also. Though maybe it was a GSDX then I saw it's face. After that I saw most of it's hair was missing. I'm not sure how much longer he was going to be around for.

    Good thing Roscoe didn't become lunch.

    ReplyDelete