Saturday, January 7, 2017

"You Can Never Go Home Again"

I've gotten sucked into the black hole of Facebook which in turn has bounced me into parallel universes in which I'm still young, virile, and the event horizon extends to infinity.   I'm talking about revisiting my high school and my active army days via Facebook groups.

Nostalgia is fun and all but I realized today that the words of the immortal Thomas Wolfe are even more true than ever:  

 "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

I'm vowing right here to not become one of those old guys who talks endlessly of the world as it was when I was young.  I've caught myself doing just that recently.  

All that said, I did come across this picture of me as a young guy, 35 or so years ago.  I had no idea then of the adventures, the joy, and the sorrow that was waiting for me up the line.  


So, did I tell you about the time that I.......

No comments:

Post a Comment