Friday, October 30, 2009

Tricked again!

Nope, not talking about Halloween (not yet anyway) but illicit credit card use and not even by me! For about the 4th time in two years my credit card has been compromised by some muppet or mope or whatever else this type should be called. We received a message from USAA reporting potential fraudulent use of our Mastercard. Someone tried to charge 20 cents on line as a test to see if the card worked. Fortunately they didn't have the expiration date correct nor the secret code from the back of the card so the charge didn't go through. If it had, Katy bar the door! USAA shut the card down. Meanwhile I was at the train station attempting to get my train pass for November. The ticket machine kept telling me that the transaction couldn't be completed so silly me, I wiped the card off, straightened the card, tried again and again. No dice. I found out what the issue was when I came home. A year or so ago Mary noticed that our Mobil gas card had hundreds of dollars of charges on it all in about two weeks. We rarely use the card. A call to Mobil led us to find that there were hundreds more yet to be posted to the card bill. The super creepy thing is that whoever was using the card lived in Santa Clarita probably not far from where we live because it was being used at the gas station near our house and at a gas station not far from where Mary works! Someone was making the same commute as her! A couple other times we've had to get the MC shut off because of it being compromised. Grrr!

Weather report: It has been cold and blustery here this week. Tuesday and Wednesday we had sustained winds at 60 mph and gusts to 75 mph (hurricane strength) and it was Cold! Tuesday Mary met me at the train station to give me a ride home because it was blowing so hard I may not have been able to stay seated on my bicycle. I don't know what motorcyclists were doing - maybe walking. By tomorrow it is going to be in the high 80s. Crazy!

Craig is having a Halloween party tomorrow and girls will be coming! However these girls play shoot-em-up video games with the guys so I don't think there is any worry of hanky panky - especially with Mary chaperoning! My job will be to fetch the pizzas and then hang out at a friend's house for a couple hours until the party is over. Stay tuned for more on this event.

Hope you all have a not too scary Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. That is so creepy, someone using the card in such close proximity to Mom. We have been pretty lucky with our cards, knock on wood. Although all of the Army Man's cards got demagnetized recently so we had to get all new anyway.

    Send some of that cold weather (no wind though) our way. We were back up in the 80's the last few days, which is not normal at all. And the party sounds like fun! I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete