Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday update

The fire that started in La Canada Flintridge is now burning into Acton, a small town with horse 'ranchos' about 20 miles southeast of us. The smoke from the fires is incredible, a huge mushroom cloud of brown smoke topped with an enormous billowing white cloud. The mushroom cloud of smoke is said to be up to 20,000 feet. We've had some smoke and a bit of ash fall on Santa Clarita but not as bad as communities closer to the fires. Kurt's unit is on alert and my state unit's mobile communications section has also been alerted for deployment. Hopefully the cooler weather predicted for later this week will tame the fire. 108F today!

My two managers that I recently hired for Wilmington DE and Atlanta GA are arriving tomorrow for 2.5 days of training at my office. The smoke, ash, and flames will be an interesting introduction to Los Angeles. Every day here is like living in an Irwin Allen disaster movie. Who was Irwin Allen? He's the guy responsible for the Towering Inferno and the original Poseidon Adventure.

Craig received his Life scout rank today. The next step is Eagle. Go Craig!

Speaking of Craig, he asked me recently where he could get sheet music for the theme 'Army Strong" that plays in the recruiting commercials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbCnWe6e1o&mode=related&search= (I dare you to watch this without getting a lump in your throat) and I said 'the Army band, of course!' I emailed them and much to my surprise and glee a nice SFC emailed me all the sheet music for the song including each section's portion (tuba, trombone, etc.). Now Craig needs to practice it for his upcoming band competition.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool about getting the sheet music for the song-maybe I should play it!

    I'm sorry to hear the fires are getting closer, I sure don't miss all that stress and bad breathing weather. Laura had her first experience ever with a fire nearby, but it turned out to be an old house that was burned on purpose for the firemen to practice on. That was actually pretty neat to see, albeit scary to see how giant just a house fire can be. Hope the SCV stays safe!

    ReplyDelete