Thursday, June 11, 2015

Old Iron

Saw this little known classic near my work last week.  A rare Checker Marathon station wagon, a civilian cousin to the once ubiquitous Checker Yellow Cab of song and screen.

You 
Can dress in pink and blue just like a child 
And in a yellow taxi turn to me and smile 
We'll be there in just a while 
If you follow me... 


Joe Jackson 'Steppin Out"

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Till it's gone...


Joni Mitchell 'Big Yellow Taxi'















Anyway, here's the old iron that I was privileged to see:


I can remember riding in a Checker with my Dad and his boss.  I was a small kid and got to sit on a jump seat.  The boss gave me a silver dollar from his pocket and I remember my father smiling, probably grateful that I thanked the boss instead of demanding two silver dollars!

No comments:

Post a Comment