Monday, August 23, 2010

Found Money

Some posts ago I mentioned the variety of items I found when riding my bike to and from work. I used to find a fair amount of money including a $20 bill and some singles. Since we entered the Great Depression #2 I've noticed the amount of dropped money has decreased significantly. My bike mileage is also shorter these days so my money spotting opportunities have also decreased. The missus and I decided about a year ago to keep all of the money found outside the home in a candy dish on the kitchen counter to see just how much we can accumulate.

So far we've gleaned:

60 pennies
17 nickels
6 dimes
3 quarters

This doesn't count the pennies we've seen mashed down into the road surface but are not retrievable. I wonder if more pennies are found because those who drop them can't be bothered to pick them up and the found denominations decrease in reverse proportion to their value because of that value? I do know as I mentioned that found money is much less than before. I guess tough times makes folks value their pocket change!

No comments:

Post a Comment