Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Blue Whale

I have officially become an old person. I am now driving around (slowly) in a 1995 Lincoln Town Car with faded paint and split leather seats. To quote the B52s: "...it's as big as a whale and it seats about 20..." which describes this car. It sort of marshmallows along as I drive it and it definitely doesn't want to be hurried around corners or merging onto the freeway. I got the car through the generosity of Chechee and it is what I keep stashed at work to conduct my daily business with. I'm only putting about 3 miles a day on it which is fortunate because of the various warning lights that are on (ding, ding..antilock brake failure; ding, ding...check air suspension). So far it has started each time I've asked it to. It has become a topic of conversation at my place of business, mostly gently humorous although the fact that it takes up 1.5 parking spaces is a little disconcerting for my fellow parking lot users. I feel like the anti Al Gore when I drive it and I am sure the Amazon rain forest dies a little more each time I start it but then again I am balancing that by commuting via train and bike so perhaps in the scales of environmental justice I may be coming out even.

Stay tuned for further adventures....

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! A "new" car. I think you should call him Beluga. Or maybe Baleen.

    ReplyDelete