Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Monday

Grouch of the day: it's Monday. Enough said on that subject.

Second string grouch of the day: Why do the students at California State University Northridge have Martin Luther King day and Cesar Chavez day has holidays but not President's day? Not to take anything away from two great men but do their acheivements outshine those of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln?

I'm still trying to get a handle on this blog machine. I am attempting to bend it to my will but it isn't cooperating. I guess the best thing to do is to read the instructions first, but then again why change after so many years?

As I mentioned in my profile, I am a proud citizen-soldier from a long line of citizen-soldiers. On my father's side of the family my great uncle served in the 74th PA volunteer infantry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/74th_Pennsylvania_Infantry and was at the battle of Gettysburg. My uncle served in the Army during WW1 and of course my father was a WW2 veteran. On my mother's side of the family my Grandfather and great uncle were both WW1 veterans. My brother carried on the Air Force tradition serving during the Vietnam war era. I was a cold war warrior serving in the Army on active duty and the reserves for 20 years. My oldest son is currently a Sergeant E5 in the Army National Guard and an Iraq war veteran. My youngest daughter is currently an E4 in the Air National Guard. My oldest daughter tried to join the Army reserves but her asthma kept her out. We'll see what path my youngest son chooses. At age 15 his road still stretches a long way ahead. I am proud of all of these and also of my lovely bride who supported me in my military service, pulling my boots off my aching feet after a hard day's duty, ironed my uniforms, sewed insignia and generally was there whenever I needed her.

Speaking of SGT Kurt, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YH853gcNY to see a video of his time in Iraq. I recommend it highly.

More to come....

1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough my blog won't bend to my will either. What's that all about?

    I guess someone had to follow in Mom's footsteps by being married to the military. I'm happy to fill that role in our family :)

    ReplyDelete